As noted in a previous entry I thought I was getting the build back on track in 2017 (18 months ago!), but alas, I was wrong.
Now I really am (getting back to it). I now have a lot more time as well as all of the materials except the soundboard painting kit. I am determined to get this instrument finished within a year (hopefully sooner)
Today I fit and installed all of the six (more period-appropriate than modern) brass hinges to the lids which I got from Marc Vogel GmbH. Three large lid hinges along the spine and 3 smaller hinges connecting the 2 lids together.
It was a surprisingly long task, 39 holes to be marked, drilled and ‘tapped’. Half of the screws had to be shortened with the Dremel tool. I purchased 40 screws and managed to break one, so had the exact number needed to install the hinges. The hinges look really good, they were quite expensive, but worth it.
I also completed the keystick (to hold the lids up), including brackets/holders. I had to reduce the thickness of the poplar to ½”. It actually turned out to be more time-consuming than expected, but the result looks good, works very well and is just the right size. I needed to remove the lids and drill holes for the closet pulls being used for keystick cup receptacles for propping the lid open, but I had to go out and purchase a 20mm Forstner bit to install. The closet pulls were supposed to be ¾”, but that turned to be the ‘inside’ measurement, sadly the packaging was incorrect. But, now they fit fine with a bit of blue painter’s tape wrapped on them. I wanted to be open the lid to two different heights/angles.
The build is finally making some progress. Here’s what the instrument looks like now (Case work largely done, keyworks, music desk, bench, hinged lids and keystick.)