Added a number of details to the CAD drawing of the keyboard to clarify some of the layout steps. This is a time to be as accurate as absolutely possible. Sent a number of questions to Ernie to clarify some things that are most confusing about where the frame rails sit vis-à-vis the rear key pins.
I purchased some bright 6D nails at the store as I plan to make my own rail pins, a much more economical solution than buying the expensive pins from the supplier. As I may have mentioned before I’m trying to do this economically, even tho’ my time should be worth more than the cost of the pins!
After looking more closely, I noticed something odd about the Ruckers keyboard elevation in the plan. It turns out that the rear keyframe rail was in the wrong position, too far forward. It needed to be moved back toward the rear so that the key pins would be ½” back from the front edge and the ends of the keys would rest comfortably on the felt strip behind the pins. I have updated my copy of the drawing, but Ernie has also sent me a new, updated plan. Traded several e-mails today as I wanted to get a few more answers before I push on and start cutting things.
So I created some poplar ‘patches’ 1 & 21/32” long to fill in the gaps left after moving the slots for the rails in the stiles further back. I glued the patches in. Measured and trimmed the keyboard blank to width. Trimmed the rails to width, assembled and glued the frame together and planed everything nice and smooth.
Here is the ‘fixed’ frame and keyboard: